Monday 14 February 2011

Recent-ish Editorial pieces!


I say recent-ish as most were done at the end of last year. The top one being for the latest issue of Eye magazine, illustrating a great piece about how graphic design students should be taught information design rather than just making things look pretty. The subject is something I often think about in regards to my work as it can often feel like i am favouring 'style over content' due to my want to put pattern everywhere. But I think what I came up with shows that it's not totally one sided. The piece has been printed up nicely as it features in the 'Uncoated' section of the magazine where surprisingly the paper is uncoated. The whole issue focuses on infographics and looks great thanks to the art direction of Simon Esterson. It's worth picking up if not for my illo but for the pieces on McSweeney's and Chris Ware.

Here it is in all it's printed glory.


This piece was the for the L.A Times review of the new Salman Rushdie book 'Luka and the fire of life' which was written for his son. It deals with among other things a magic carpet, a circus, some animals, some classic video games, somebody called 'Nobodaddy' and the quest to find the fire of life as you probably guessed.



On a quite different note here is the cover I did for a watch supplement for The Spectator. T'was nice to draw with me ol' dip pen for a change.


2 comments:

Ben Newman said...

Totally totally amazing! I love all the illustrations but that top one is super cool. Love the colours too. Great work, buddy.

Nick White said...

Cheers Mister! Was pleased with how the EYE illo came together. Was good to mix the collage and character stuff, as well as getting some colour in there. Cheers also for sending so many peoples over here via twitter. From the looks of it there might just be something to it!